Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gaga Love, Gaga Magic, Free Egypt - Gagablog 3

The power of Gaga to "reunite" the world is what I call Gaga Magic. There is a wonderful, crucial, dire, and hopeful situation in Egypt right now which can describe what I mean. Gaga Love is what reminds us of what is capable in this world through love, anything. One aspect of it is people coming together. That is immediately what is causing the peaceful revolution in Egypt, the people gathering in the square, and what we can do to make sure it succeeds is to join with them. I was asked if it was appropriate to associate Gaga with freedom in Egypt, and if that was putting too much pressure on her. I want to say that it must be understood magically, so if I can describe it here I can describe my ideas about magic. I am not saying Gaga is responsible for democracy breaking out there (well, maybe later I'll draw out the connections) but some of the same principles apply, so I want to talk about those, and I do think the event of Gaga's debut of Born This Way on the Grammy's on Sunday will coincide with a major development there, and I say this for two reasons, a practical and magical one.

Practically, Gaga has spoken out for freedom on some really important occasions: She was very strong opposing Don't Ask Don't Tell and is one of the heroes of its repeal. It got less press but I thought it was wonderful when she protested against the laws in Arizona that targetted people by writing a message against the bill on her arm ate her show there and joining with an organization to raise awareness about it (that never sent my copy of the tattoo I requested...) I feel like this moment in history of suspense for freedom and democracy in Egypt is the same cause on a worldwide scale, both because of the influence of Egypt and the example that may be followed by other countries in the future. I hope Gaga addresses this with a message at her upcoming performance in light of the timeliness of it. I think the practical factors contributing to whether or not Mubarak realizes he has to go now and Egypt becomes free as soon and as peacefully as possible have everything to do with "awareness" - it is a nonviolent revolution, it is a battle in the media, both the TV news and internet news and social media. For one, Gaga is a powerful force in social media, on facebook and twitter. She is calculated in how she releases things, so I wonder if she is going to say something important to coincide with having the spotlight with her performance at the Grammy's on Sunday. I think it would be a wondeful chance for her to use her Fame, once again, to change the world for the better.

The magical impact of the upcoming performance of Born This Way may be hard to describe, so I will rely on relating it first to something little monsters may understand. I liked Gaga when I first heard her, but when I heard Poker Face I realized she was doing something really special. However, when I saw her perform Paparazzi at an awards show (MTV Music?) it really changed my perspective and I went from being a huge fan to being in Love and devoted to her. And the Love really deepened after seeing her interviews, but the point is that her performance had a huge impact on me. Even more people are paying attention to her now: she has even more fans, all eagerly anticipating her new song, and many more who have become curious or are just watching will see her perform it, too. If she makes a statement about Egypt that will be wonderful, to take advantage of the moment and the need for as much attention for the cause of change there at this time. But even if she does not say anything explicitly, her performance is going to raise awareness around the world - awareness of diversity and the need to celebrate each other. These are the qualities that are bringing people together in Egypt, respecting all people and their differences and insisting all be treated with dignity. I hope they manage to make a breakthrough today or tomorrow, but really every single day counts in this crucial period in the peaceful Egyptian revolution and the other side of the magical truth I see that there is a connection here is that Egypt needs this breakthrough now, as soon as possible, and this weekend could be the final tipping point - it may have to be. This is the moment and the world is about to change for the best, and Born this Way will be the soundtrack for the moment, for this monster. I hope she makes the statement about it that shows how much Love is a factor and can win the day, and in this way becomes the sound of freedom in a way for millions who hear her and take her message to heart.

When I talk about Gaga Magic, about Gaga/magic reuniting the world, it is central to understanding my view of magic. So these aren't too long I will continue in another post, "the WorldHeart of Gaga". Thanks for reading my Gagablog!

No comments:

Post a Comment