Monday, March 7, 2011

Lady Gagafesto, "the Blair Necessities", gagablog 13

I imagine the most difficult things to understand in my Gagablog are my ideas of "coincidental" magic and possibly the central idea that Gaga is the Goddess, so I will try to clarify.
Gossip Girl is my favorite new show, and in the latest episode Dan Humphreys ghost-writes Blair's blog, "The Blair Necessities" and based on the brief description and knowing Dan's character we can assume it is some moralizing tripe mockingly written from "her" point of view. I hate Dan Humphreys, and I am aware that I am ironically going to be guilty of the same thing I detest in him, presuming that he, Dan Humpreys, can write from the feminine perspective and moralize. I don't presume to write from the female perspective, but I consider myself a feminist,though I know for me to claim that is likely as offensive to some people as Dan Humphreys claiming to be on par with Blair Waldorf is to me. I am calling this edition of the gagablog "the Blair Necessities" both because I am aware of my limitations and sexual motivation regarding feminism, but I also do not think it is necessary to be female to attempt feminism.
And I admit that a huge part of my love and devotion to Gaga, a huge part of my expectation and philosophy of the divine, is her wonderful sexuality. And that my claim that she, as the Goddess, takes action that influences the world, the nature of reality, may be stretching some people's understanding, but it is not that difficult for others to follow it or burdensome for Gaga to be in this role - if you follow it.
I call it "coincidental" magic, because, as some God said in Futurama, something like "when you do it right no one will be sure that you did anything at all". I am here to point out connections that would otherwise seem impossible, so that others can understand what kind of magic I enjoy and they can share it too. I look for these things and find them and I think they are clues to a type of magic. Just coincidences - like the latest episode of the Simpsons where Lisa discovers a flower's calming effect on aggressive scorpions and says "but is it coincidental or causual?" (something like that) I am not saying that Gaga causes the revolution in Egypt, for instance, unless you can follow that - but I am saying there is a coincidence.
There is a coincidence that as much as going on in revolutions, in Lybia now and elsewhere, we are paying so much attention to Charlie Sheen. I'm not saying it is innappropriate, but instead I am saying it is peculiarly completely appropriate, given my magical perspective on the world. But for now I will let you figure that one out, this is about Gaga.
So the latest coincidence I wanted to mention was that as I have been thinking about what I would say in this edition of the gagablog I have known it was overdue that I talk about a essential part of Gaga, that she is female, that she is the Goddess. Ok, I will bring up Sheen again, because even though some don't like the way I call Gaga a Goddess and talk about it a lot, here is another example. Lisa also says in the latest episode something like "I shouldn't play Goddess" which spurred the comment "I guess you were right, she is still a witch" - in other words, Lisa's was introduced to the concept of the Goddess and it stayed with her. I was thinking in the recent Charlie Sheen bonanza how his goddess girlfriends are going to be many, maybe millions of peoples', introduction to the very idea of goddesses, and it makes me feel like it is completely appropriate that I have been talking about Gaga as a goddeess for over a year and I'm positive about it and hope I am sharing good ideas with people this way.
So there was a coincidence the other night as I was preparing to compose this and considering how to "reconcile" or explain my response to Gaga that is both sexual and spiritual, and how that is just how I want religion to be, have always hoped for and never seen until Gaga, personally. And as I am wondering how I will explain this, the "coincidental magic" I'm describing comes into play and there is a radio show on NPR about womens' roles in leading religious services in otherwise patriarchal traditions. They mention orthodox Jews and Christians who consider menstrating women unlcean and in need of ritual purification, as well as the same principle in Hindu worship of excluding women from ritual at this time. These seem to be old longstanding traditions but it is interesting how they coincide with more patriarchal religions in the spectrum. Now the point I want to address is the one brought up by the muslim man who said the reason they do not have females leading services is the same reason females are in the back of the mosque - that they do not want anything, such as sexual desire for the women, to interfere or distract from the spiritual experience.

This gets to the heart of what I am talking about, the whole reason I have been expecting a Goddess to emerge in the world and for her to be really sexy. Wishful thinking, yes, but I backed it up with reasoning and here it is: I reject this argument that women cant be religious leaders, based on the same principle the muslim man in the radio program described, that I think is a mentality shared by conservative christians and other conservative religions around the world - that again, I utterly reject and want the world to be rid of.
The idea is that sex is not compatible with sprituality, essentially, and you can see how Gaga as my Goddess repairs that, for me. She restores the sex to spirituality and the spirituality to sex, in a major way (because of course we all do this whenever we make love - "I Like it Rough" is on now....) The idea, that I utterly reject, is that Men are the ones attracted to Women - what about the women in the back being distracted by the hot men in front of them, "between" them and the altar -  or by all the beautiful women all around! The very principle is both that men are the "sexually active" ones and women are "sexually receptive" ones, which is a fallacy and unfortunate, and that only the man's experience really counts, ultimately. Please realize that I am using Charlie Sheen as a sort of counter-example when I refrence him saying that his goddesses understand that he "has the best idea in the room" 95% of the time - it's a guy thing. The conclusions these belief systems operate from is that sex is "bad" hence women are somehow "bad" - this is really not being too blunt about it, they are really like this if you are unfamiliar or don't realize that is what it is, and it has always made me mad - that and not getting laid as a teenager, in the Bible Belt, which I somewhat blame since I was cute, just weird.

And in the way I was raised, while on the one hand my parents are liberal about some things and I surely was exposed to feminist ideas at an early age since my mom is a feminist and was studying to become an episcopalean priest when I was a kid, on the other hand I was raised with moralistic ideas about sex that I since have realized are deeply entrenched in religion and society. And I see all sorts of problems with them, from shame assoicated with sex causing all sorts of personal and social problems, to this nexus of conservatives who somehow both oppose sex and diversity and promote war, bigotry, and avarice. To me, it is just the "enemy", this prudish patriarchal manipulative power that we just need to move on from. I have thought since my infatuation with the social moevments of the civil rights era, especially psychadelics and sexual freedom, that the way to fix this world is to have a big party, a sexual revolution. I relate it to somehting my estranged friend Alan Gordon, the pot activist said, that people still feel suconscoius shame about smoking weed, that made me focus on how proud I am of it and resist that tendency. In the same way, as much as I admire the sexual revolutionaries of the 60's and 70's, they were kind of hairy sometimes, which makes me think they accepted some concept that they were "living like animals, having wild sex" and went with it and were sort of caveman style. I know there are other factors for this too, Im  just bringing it up to say that if we had another sexual revolution today there might be certain other standards - not that that same style would not flourish again, too, but not have such an influence.  I love to think about the world we will live in when people influenced by Gaga and others to be fiercely proud of their sexuality really show off - not that that means having sex on display, but the very principle of having the kind of sex that really satisfies and enhances desire in general, that inspires people to great art, great deeds, or a  great mood.

I had a discussion about this and was accused of sexism for saying something about bringing women and sex back into religion. Like women's "role" was essentially sexual - and to this I say, as much as a man's is, because I do think sexuality is important and essential, But I am certainly not saying that a person's value is for sex. I am just pointing out that if women have been associated with sex as a means of excluding them from religious life, well not only is that wrong because they are not the "sexual" ones moreso then men - they aren't to blame for being hot - but wrong because of the deeper principle that sex is not a part of religious life. It has not been, in America, but only because of an intentional agenda to exclude it, along with so many forms of expression that "might lead to it" and even women - for being capable of it. I don't know if, when sex is a part of religion, women would have a huge advantage over men and that produced a backlash where men are jealously seizing power - or if men are just jealous of women for being so hot. I love having a religious figure in Lady Gaga who is both super hot and really positive about sexuality, just really sexual and inspiring. While I enjoy how this might "bother" some people and make them think about what they believe, I am far more excited to think that other people might relate to her in the same way and relate to me. And the idea that the world could be so different with the opposite dynamic in place, the liberal side instead of the conservative. Because the same people who resent love and sex are "ironically" usually the ones calling for war. So, if that is not enough to get people to oppose the conservative, the idea that we could move past war (and greed) and their associated evils, consider that they oppose sex (and all the evils associated with opposing sex) and "things that lead to it" - from dancing to music in general, from fashion to weed. All of these things are "feminine" in a sense, but they oppose them because they are a threat to their authority. Their authority is based on a false premise and the feminine power oppses it just by providing balance - and the imbalance has been so strong the restoration will be powerful. Which is why, in the cosmic coincidental sense, Gaga is so fantastic. I love her for bringing this female element out in such fabulous fashion, and she is just so beautiful, too!

I have a facebook page, "Lady Gaga, my religion is you: Monsterites Unite!" refrencing her line "my religion is you" in "Teeth", for people "who love Gaga with religious devotion". I hope this gagablog will help explain what I mean by this, because I truly see Gaga as the Love/Art/Sex/Weed Goddess sent to finish saving and remaking the world. I love you Gaga, and I love you, little monsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment