Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gagafesto, "Hope and Suspicion for Judas ", gagablog 19

I feel like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!" Gaga is hard to keep up with to begin with, and with my tendency to "save things" until I can properly enjoy them, I am getting behind her -and not in the way I'd like to! "Judas" was released yesterday, and I have not even heard it yet. I was determined to write what I hoped and suspected it would be about before I actually heard it and demonstrate that I was in tune with the truths that Gaga presents, prophetic or whatever, but I'm both busy and lazy at times and did not get to it before the song came out. So I'm delaying listening to it until I finish writing this, forgive the eagerness. I just returned from the store where I got the Born This Way single and The Remix album (I am listening to the different vocals for Paparazzi now and I love it so much!) so I'm pretty happy for catching up some, but I can't wait to hear Judas!
I don't mind making a fool of myself talking about my intuition before I hear "Judas" instead of listening to it first and then talking about what she actually says. But I have to say, Gaga is so amazing and influential I feel like I will be cheating if I try to say it is intuition because no matter how much I try to avoid hearing about it, Gaga is everywhere. I went to google her name yesterday and the first thing that came up was that "Judas" had upset the Catholic Chruch, which seemed to confirm some of my suspicions.
I can't wait to hear it, so I will try to make this brief (again, "try") but I'm already so pleased with hearing remixed Gaga, it makes a short delay to hear the new song so sweet. Of course my first reaction to hearing that she had a song called "Judas" coming out was to think of the Gospel of Judas, the translation of which was recently made public (what they have of it, anyway). When I read the Gospel of Judas I had a strong impression that it was important, especially the suggestion that a "vindication" of Judas would overturn existing churches and start a new and better version. I can see how it could be the theology/psychology of an outkast cult that associated with Judas, that one day their church would take over. But I had the suspicion that it could be true, that Jesus had asked Judas to carry a secret, to "betray" him on purpose. Again, it is possible that people in Jesus time had the same "rational" disbelief I had as a kid that Jesus could be betrayed, that he would not "know" everything that would happen to him, and this was their way of explaining it. But the other option is that the accounts of the Gospel of Judas was true, that Jesus asked Judas to be hated for centuries then glorified at a pivotal moment in the future. It seemed true to me because the timing of its discovery and revelation seemed right: centuries had passed in which most thought of Judas as a hated character but at this time churches are crumbling under various ills and it seems time for their transformation.
Now, I know I will seem very foolish for making this connection, especially considering a glaring contradiction in the Gospel that I would rather not address unless my suspicion that the song is related proves to be true. It could be that Gaga is taking a typical, negative view of Judas, or talking about "a Judas", a betrayer in her life, and the Catholic Church could just be mad she is using the name at all. I really don't think so, though, both because of my first instinct about the song and because I imagine the song has upset the church for a deeper reason, possibly for this connection to the long-lost, "heretical" Gospel.
While I feel a little foolish for getting excited about the major announcement Gaga was going to make on Good Morning America and made some predictions what it would be, I should feel priveleged because the reason I was "disappointed" that the announcement turned out to be that she would perform on that show was that I already knew that, from word of mouth from little monsters, and I should be glad to be "in the loop" somewhat, for once. It does seem silly to have predicted that she would announce a new church, but I do wonder if that is not what she has done with "Judas" and I can't wait to find out.
I guess one reason I jumped right to this conclusion that the song Judas would have a new perspective on the man and what he represents is that, especially if the gospel is true, he represents the hated, misjudged, and outkasted. I feel like Gaga represents us too, at least I feel like that sometimes and Gaga makes me feel better about it and makes me feel like there are other people like me to relate to, and actually brings us together. I think it would make perfect sense for her to start a new kind of church, she is the Goddess to me after all, and I feel bad that my use of the word church or biblical people could turn people off to this idea, but I would like to say that the things that have made people hate church and christianity would not be part of this kind of church. I think it will take place more as a spiritual and cultural movement, but it will include people gathering together, at the Monster Ball and future and other artists concerts, but maybe in other ways and places as well, who knows. These days many churches are turning to an online presence, and Gaga's and the little monsters' online presence is huge and does manifest in online churches of different levels, such as my "Lady Gaga my religion is you: Monsterites Unite!" facebook page. I have this kind of religious response to Gaga because she embodies esoteric love, esoterotic love, that I see as a path to freedom and restoring a harmony with nature that we need to survive. For Gaga and myself, for the society we grew up in, christian religious imagery comes into play with some of these ideas, but they are within all spiritual traditions and I hope to talk about them in many ways. The surprise twist in the Gospel of Judas reminds me of the nature of the mystery of love, that one can never be too sure of oneself (except in love) or judgemental, and should always have respect for the other person and their side of the story, including the untold parts that could help us understand, but might not be revealed for decades or even millinea.
In christianity, at least, "not judging people" is a very strong message that people have gotten really wrong or seemed to entirely miss. Gaga is restoring this principle with her new race of people she gives birth to who are "beyond judgement" and if my suspicions are corrent she is using Judas to make this message of love and tolerance and resisting judgement to restore a spiritual quality and respect to people's lives that will result in a new religious movement as foretold in the Gospel of Judas. I will go into detail, and explain what I think of the contradition in what appears to be homophobic in the Gospel of Judas, once I hear what the song is about, but I could not resist the chance to try and appear intuitive, or foolish.
I have to say, whatever it is, I get some delight that the Catholic Church is upset with her for it, it just gives me a sly sense of glee. I guess they feel threatened by women, and Gaga is the Goddess, so it was bound to happen (again). I love you, Gaga, thanks for all the music and love, and for the amazing remixes, especially where you do more vocals - I love you so much, you give us so much. I can't wait, now it is my turn to experience the release of "Judas"! Thank you, Gaga!

No comments:

Post a Comment